Thursday, August 11, 2005

Losing more stuff

I just lost a post I told Singlefin I'd write about Waiting For My Cat to Explode. Hate that. Once I lost it, I also realised I'd lost my cat, the significance of which will become apparent. I promise.

'Cat?' I hear you ask. 'I thought the cat died.'

She did. In four days, it will be a year. But there's a new cat. Here are the vitals:
  • Name: Pixie
  • Breed: Domestic Shorthair (moggie)
  • Colour: Tabby
  • Age: Around about a year
  • Time she's been with me: Just under two weeks, rescued from work where she had been dumped about five months ago. I became aware of her existence two weeks before I adopted her.
  • Habits: Quite vocal, moderately playful, a lapcat, very friendly with everyone which we all know is rare, eats anything, makes one hell of a mess with her litter. I'm going to have to get one of those covered litterboxes so I'm not constantly cleaning after her.
  • Other attributes: Very, very pregnant.
Yup. Thus my alarm when I don't know where she is. She's hiding in the corner of my wardrobe right now. Needless to say I will not be letting her stay there very long. I have provided her with other birthing options that are NOT ON CARPET! and she will have to make do with one of those.

When I got her, much to the delight of the cleaners who had been feeding her and her first litter, I had no idea about queens (of the feline variety) but guessed I had maybe a month to get information and get my head around it all. I took her to the vet the next day for a check and the vet's response was, 'Wow. She's full!' and I was told to expect her to take up to two weeks, but to expect anything right now. She even checked to see if the milk was showing. She also said she was in great condition and didn't even have fleas. How lucky am I?

Nearly two weeks later, this is becoming a much-anticipated birth. I've read a lot online and know there's nothing to do but wait, but geez, I'd like this to get happening. I want the kittens to be a suitable age to leave her during the school holidays, to maximise re-homing opportunities, after which she's getting speyed and settling down to a life on my lap.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hugh said...

Hello Pickles! You are back! It will be good if you post every now and then...that way i will worry about you less.

I predicted the kittens would arrive today...but I'm a bit of a hack clairvoyant really. Make sure you keep us updated.

So you got your head shaved again? Since the first time?

2:50 pm  
Blogger SingleFin said...

I'm really excited! Halfway around the world, and I can't wait for kittens! Yay!

9:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home